You even knew that VPN is a good service to protect your privacy online from hackers but you are not sure it is worth it for you to pay. Usually, we only pay for something when we know well about it. That is why in this review, I will tell you about Windscribe, a VPN vendor, that allows you to have 30 days free to experience VPN. With this trial, you can connect to Windscribe in several countries, especially in the US and UK to experience Netflix and other foreign website services while being guarded from attack by third parties.
Windscribe offers a kill switch, also called a firewall. This feature is helpful to protect your privacy online if your VPN connection drops. Kill switch will immediately block internet connection to your device to eliminate all types of leaks.
With split tunneling, your traffic is able to go through a public network and VPN simultaneously. This means, you can use your IP address to surf normal apps while using VPN to protect your online activities on the other apps.
You can use torrenting for most servers in Windscribe; they also use P2P icons to label for these servers.
Static IP address
Windscribe offers a static IP address which assigns you the same external IP address every time you connect to static IP servers. The benefit of this is you will not frequently face CAPTCHAs, 2FA checks in secure websites as your IP address doesn’t change.
The default is “Automatic” which will pick the best mode for you, or you can manually toggle between protocols for your demand.
- IKEv2 – Default connection mode, it can be easily blocked but you can stream the internet with fast speed.
- UDP – This mode uses OpenVPN protocol. UDP is usually the fastest protocol to run OpenVPN on, but can also be blocked quite easily.
- TCP – Use this if UDP fails to connect. Much more resilient to bad network conditions, but could be slower.
- Stealth – Encapsulates OpenVPN in a TLS tunnel via Stunnel. Stealth makes your VPN traffic look like regular traffic to get through firewalls. If you are in countries with VPN inhibition, including China, or the United Arab Emirates, you can use this mode.
- Wstunnel – Encapsulates OpenVPN in a WebSocket. This protocol is also useful if you want to use VPN in countries with strict rules about VPN.
R.O.B.E.R.T. is an advanced DNS and IP level blocker that is used to block malwares, Cryptominers, advertisements and trackers to protect your privacy online. You are allowed to select any content you want to block in block lists available. Thanks to blocking this content, your internet speed rises because less content is loaded.
Double hop will route your data to go through 2 different servers to encrypt before they get the final destination. This helps decrease data leak significantly from attacking third parties.
Windscibe uses AES-256 cipher with SHA512 auth and a 4096-bit RSA key in desktop apps and TLS 1.2, ECDHE_RSA with P-256 key exchange and AES_128_GCM cipher for browser extension.
Compatible with many devices
Windscribe offers various platforms, including
- Computer: Windows, Mac, Linux
- Browsers: Chrome, Firefox, Opera,
- Mobile phone: android, iphone, window mobile,
- TV: Amazon FireTV, Nvidia, Shield KODI
- Routers: DD-WRT, Tomato, Asus
- Config Generators: OpenVPN, IKEv2, SOCKS5, WireGuard
It is so quick and easy to complete VPN installation for your devices. Besides, if you are not sure what to do you can find the instruction attached when clicking on the buttons
One thing I really love in Windscribe is that I can connect with an unlimited number of simultaneous devices with a username for both free and paid versions.
As mentioned, if you are not sure how VPN operates, you can start with WindScribe’s free trial for 30 days. However, Windscribe only enables you to connect 11 servers around the world, so you need to upgrade your account by subscribing to one of their plans to connect their entire servers. Their plans include 3 deals, $9 for monthly plan, $49 for yearly plan, and build a plan that costs $1 per month, per location, you get up to 10GB of data per month for all these plans. Like other VPNs, the longer plan you subscribe to, the more discount you receive. So if you subscribe to a 1-year plan, you could only pay $4,08 per month. Besides, you also have a 30-day money-back guarantee, so if you don’t feel satisfied with their service, you can ask for a refund.
Their payment options include PayPal, American Express, Bitcoin, Payment Wall, Visa, Master Card.
Windscribe VPN Speeds
I did a speed test with Windscribe to determine whether VPN significantly affects my internet connection. First test, I connected to a VPN server located at my nearby position, I saw my initial speed was 90.32 mbps, and after connecting VPN was 93.23 mbps. I was so surprised when there was an slight increase of about 3% when I connected to a VPN server.
Without VPN connection
With VPN connection
Next test, I connected to a server in the US, I saw the figure dropped noticeably to 85.79 mbps. However, I found no interruption while streaming and browsing websites, even when I made calls a few times on social media platforms among countries.
With VPN connection
You might know that there are a lot of factors that affect your internet speed such as distance to the server, operating system, and device you are using. Like any encryption service, Windscribe may cause a slight speed reduction, however, it doesn’t lead to any notable performance issues.
- Free trial allows you to get Windscribe in many countries such as US, Hong Kong, Canada and more.
- You can connect unlimited number of simultaneous devices with a username.
- Apps for major platform
- Located in Canada which is a member of the 5/9/14-Eyes Alliance.
- Their live chat is auto-reply, so with complicated problems, you should use email or ticket to get an correct answer.